A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sinbad, the Finch and World Bird Wednesday


This week's post on the Pine River Review, its creator Springman, relates the story behind how World Bird Wednesday came to be one year ago. In it I learned that the little White-throated Sparrow in the blog meme really is the creator of this blog dedicated to birds all over the world. The story and its end gave me cause to think and thus came my post for this week's World Bird Wednesday.

We are blessed to live in an area with an abundance of birds. The feeders take a beating and I've often considered keeping track of the $$$ spent for seed in a year's time (perhaps I best not). Thus with so many birds flying about, every once in awhile someone makes a wrong turn and crashes into the sliding glass doors opening to our deck. Most are a low speed glancing blow and they continue on their way a bit wiser I hope. But every so often one will knock himself silly and fall to the deck. I go out, pick them up, stars circling around their feathered heads, place them in a safe spot to recover until they clear the cobwebs from their little bird brains. I have a pretty good rehab success rate but sadly there are a few never-to-recover fatalities. Attempts to eliminate the few kamikaze hits have gone unsuccessful so I can only attribute it to Darwinian selection in the process.

Above, Sinbad is watching over an American Goldfinch in the recovery room.

Do visit today's World-Bird-Wednesday and read the story behind the little bird below 
and then check out the great bird photos from other bloggers.

20 comments:

  1. Poor little one, hope he is ok now...
    Cool shot, I'm glad to know Sinbad is a good cat. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonder the finch did not die of fright! Nice shot though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same experience, with crash-stunned birds. Scoop them up, put them in a safe shaded spot, sometimes it appears utterly hopeless. When I watch them from a distance, they eventually recover and fly off, apparently no worse for the experience.

    Totally with you on not wanting to any summaries of my bird seed expenses. There's gold in them thar sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story.
    Hope he made a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little guy! What an awesome shot and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that sinbad doesn't harm him! if it moved, my Tuxedo would be all over it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. poor fella.... cute picture though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing photo!! Sometimes seen in reverse here as Boom regularly visits the cats on either side of us, who are happy to see him. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic image to see John.. Nature is amazing at times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. now I truly know Sinbad's heart. what a dear, watching over his little buddy like that. that birdie wouldn't stand a chance around my kitties. they used to be outdoor cats when we lived on the farm, and I had a rule that I kept repeating to them, to no avail. "no bunnies, no birds". I saved many a bunny but never any birds. I don't think they got too many birds, but none of my girls would sit quietly, watching a bird recover like that without touching it. nope. I know it for a fact. so Sinbad is a really good little guy, bless his heart. happy day to you John. thanks for the Sinbad shot. this is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect photo! I hope that bird was one that recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had great success with mylar windsocks on the windows. They flap and scare the birds. I live on a pond and with the woods I was having many collisions. Since the mylar went up 3 years ago, I haven't had one fatality...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey John Lee! How this great picture is even possible staggers the mind. Is there no glass between these animals? I can't detect it. To me, when a picture tells a story it reaches a whole new level of status. What the Flag raising of Iwo Jima was to war pictures this shot is to Bird/cat relations.
    Thanks for the shout out too, it is appreciated!
    Cheers to you Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great shot. How did Dr. Sinbad leave the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's the kind of shot you don't see very often. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And the lion shall lay down with the lamb...?

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's just such a sweet photo. i got my kids through college, now i feed the birds!! the costs are almost equal!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible photo!
    My "Kitty's" jaws would be opening just about that point. I understand that female cats are the true hunters of the species. Males, like Sinbad are obviously more compassionate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sinbad sure looks interested, hpe he was not hungry. Our Valentine would have been a very bad kitty in this photo.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.