A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, January 9, 2012

Black & White Photos

Of the blogs I follow only Thoughts in Images regularly puts in black and white images. By her wonderful photos she keeps me reminding me, I need to do that more myself. Recently a couple of her commenters remarked about how nice her monochromes were and I chimed in suggesting that she do a post some day revealing a few of her secrets. Later in the day I thought that wasn't right. I need to teach myself. And so I spent the better part of a day doing just that.

Using a "convert to black & white" tool in a photo program just does not cut it if you want really nice monochrome images. This is why I never do it much for I was always left disappointed. Once I got into doing the research online, I realized that how one goes about it is different for every type of photo processing program out there. So even if she did do a post about what she does, it would only apply to a few.

In the end I made some progress and feel they are better than what I did before using one simple click of the button method. I put the 'one click' and the 'quite a few clicks' photos together so you can see the difference. There is probably more I can do or maybe some I shouldn't do but I'll keep at it.





The next two are from Custer's Battle of the Little Big Horn Monument




11 comments:

  1. You can really see the differences in the photos pre and post edit! These are awesome photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B&W photography is tricky. You have done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! B&W makes one pay attention and notice contrasts and shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, what Jeannelle said. I recall in my college days seeing a friend walking down the street with his camera (days of film only). he was shooting things that were in stark contrast to each other - black wrought iron fences against the sky, things like that. I've always kept that in mind when looking for a black and white shot. not that I know what I'm doing or anything. but I digress. I love what you've done here. I think the most dramatic differences are in the first and second examples. love those clouds.
    isn't learning fun? nicely done John. happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! really nicely done w/ several clicks! nice detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are really getting the hang of it! Nice work. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful, whether one click or more. When I shot film, I always kept B&W in one camera, and color in the other...well, if I had my choice I kept Velvia slide film in the second camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your research paid off and the evidence is totally convincing. Point us in the right direction about which apps or websites you found most helpful. I'm still at the one click level.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done John, I'm experimenting with the latest update of Picasa which has a variety of new features such as 'Duo-tone''Holga-ish''Infrared Film''Museum Matte' among many others.Makes for some very interesting outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't give up, you have some wonderful shots and edits here. Great job! I have just started playing with editing tools myself and am amazed at what a difference they can make to a picture. I am not so quick to delete an unsatisfactory photo anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love all your black and white shots!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.