A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mushrooms and Fungi

The recent rains brought forth a few mushrooms in the forest but I think I need to give them more time as what I found was difficult to come by and most not fully developed.

This species always looks like this. I never find any unscarred. I don't know if this is how they grow or they are a delicacy to some little forest creature who loves nibbling on them.

This one looked soft and spongy like a marshmallow. I never touch them not knowing if they are poisonous nor do I want to contaminate them either with my fingers. I could poke them with a stick but choose to leave them unmolested.

This is a species of bracket or shelf fungi. Most shelf fungi are slow growing and last throughout the year getting larger by each year.

This guy here for example has been around a long time. I found another that was as large as the platter you serve your Thanksgiving turkey on. I couldn't get a decent photo of it for it had grown around and firmly encased within it branches that had fallen down upon it years ago. These are very hard and woody.

This is linked to Lisa's Macro Monday

11 comments:

  1. Love all the mushroom/fungi photos!
    Paz :)
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful captures of those mushrooms and fungi's!
    Greetings from Holland,
    Anna :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. toasted marshmallow
    2. apple turnover
    3. oysters on the half shell
    4. brisket!

    must be starving this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great captures, John! That third image is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific shots! I love to photograph fungi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely images, i find that some fungi can be so intriguing. I havent got a favorite image as they are all stunners

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that last one, John. I came across some shelf fungi on Saturday. Loved the texture, like velvet. This stuff fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOu have shot some really aw3some macros this week. Some of them turn my stomach a bit, but others I find to be beautiful. My husband is one that searchers for them to photograph. I just walk on by looking for interesting plants and animals. We are off to our favorite Douthat State Park this weekend to celebrate the old 73rd (YUCK!) so I plan to put the camera to good use. Hope there is still icing on the lake. genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were fabulous. I love the Bracket Fungi shot the most.
    Loved how one commentor used food analogies for your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful details of these beautiful fungi.

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.