A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Neighbors on SOOC Sunday

Across the road from where I live is Ledson Winery, one of several wineries who are my neighbors.
Believe it or not, this 16,000 square foot, 4-story Normandy style castle started out to be the wine maker's home, but as it developed he felt it would be better suited as the family's winery.
I live over there on the other side of the tracks those pines somewhere.
Notice the driveway. Mine is a cracked concrete slab. We just had the cracks fixed.
My neighbor has these lights lining his driveway.
I have some solar lights made in China I picked up off of eBay.
This is his fountain in the front.
I don't have a fountain but one time the water pipe broke at the front door.
Here, step inside my neighbor's front door.
Not content with a simple gingerbread house for a Christmas addition...
What the Grinch stole I think is some type of wine?
Anyway, it made my stomach turn a bit to be near this confectionery creation.
Here is a good reason I do not care for wine. Come on, give me a break.
"Oh daddy, I found the perfect place to have my wedding."
Okay, enough silliness. My neighbors, all of them, do have nice gardens and allow me to tromp around in them anytime I please. Springtime is the best naturally. Here is an ornamental type of cabbage or lettuce that had this pendant-sized drop of water nestled within it's leaves. It was there the day before when my wife was there taking photos and the next day it remained, unchanged.
The woodpeckers make good use of the powerline poles along the property perimeter.
The caretaker of the gardens pointed out the last of the Chinese Lantern blossoms.

All these photos are Straight Out Of the Camera for Jan's

16 comments:

  1. Hahaha fun first post of 2012 John!
    It was cool to see the good woodpeckers work! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, this is quite funny! I like your comparisons! What a house/winery! Happy new year to you, I look forward to seeing more of your great photos in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. laughing all the way...

    shitburgers, that is some set-up! but i guess with the wine and wedding prices, they can maintain it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Täältä Pohjoisen Talvesta toivotan Kaikkea Hyvää Vuodelle 2012.

    Mainio Kuva-Sarja...!
    Tervehtien Eko
    Suomi/Laplan/Kuusamo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would want a $10,000 wedding?
    I suppose some are out there, but reality tells me it would be a better wedding out there in the woods, or somewhere else so you can enjoy the family and friends who attend.
    Besides that, charming winery, it is a castle indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Looks like a great place for sharing a bottle with friends. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one of the strangest combinations of styles in a building I've ever seen. Part gothic, part something I suspect is quite american - thanks for the look (I think they owe you a bottle of wine for advertising)
    Have a good new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! Thanks for taking us on a tour of how the other 1% live. Terrific photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful to see and read John..
    A lovely start to 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's good money in grapes I guess. Nice tour. Have a super New Year John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the humor in your post. The pictures of your neighbor's home are beautiful. How nice of the person from Finland to wish you a Happy New year on here also.
    Happy New Year and safe travels be yours
    Betty and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh, opulence. It's nice to occasionally see how the 1% lives though. snark. imagine renting a place for $10,000 for a wedding. Now you got me thinking. I haven't a clue what my own cost, but my $25.00 dress was from a vintage clothing store, the shoes were borrowed and spray painted purple, the flowers were from the roadside, and there were five of us attending, including the guy who performed the 3 minute ceremony. Afterwards we went out for dinner at a Serbian restaurant where no one spoke English. Big spenders we were. My husband's brother described it as "unpretentious". Ha! I don't know for sure, but I suspect I would be embarrassed if I threw an event at this place. you sure had me chuckling at the idea of your front-door water fountain. my favorite shot is the Chinese lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got quite a neighbor there to try to keep up with! Love your shots and your sense of humor! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yee ... what a beautiful place. You travel to such interesting places ... I'll do so too ... maybe one day. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.