The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Northern Shovelers

While at the Colusa National Wildlife Refuge in northern California to see the Falcated Duck (click on that if you missed it) there were a multitude of other waterfowl to be seen which I really should have taken more photos of. I need to learn to not be so focused.

Here is the Northern Shoveler and if you view the 1:30 video at the bottom, notice the reflection in the sill water of birds as they fly overhead. Kind of neat.


I like his beady yellow eye keeping a close watch as to where is lady friend is.





This is linked to World Bird Wednesday
Do check it out for pictures of birds all over this world

21 comments:

  1. love these silly heavy-billed ducks. haven't seen them here yet this winter, but since we've gotten the mergansers and gadwalls, i'm still hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first image John.
    The video clip is fantastic to see and your sweep shots are very smooth (what tripod and head are you using?)
    I have just made this clip a fav on YT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos - beautiful reflections - and I really like the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shovelers, pintales and green winged teals were certainly abundant out there. In fact, they've been abundant at most of the refuges we've visited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Relly super shots!! Those water reflrctions are great. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots of the ducks. The reflections are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. each fabulous photographs, and the reflections thrown in

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first shot is my favorite. You captured some great reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the reflections ... It's like two for one. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Shovelers. Such Beauties with those huge beaks!
    Wonderful photos of these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute capture of the birds with reflections. Wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics John, what I'd like to film is ducks or swans where I also capture the furious paddling underwater. That would make good viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some great reflections, John! Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bird and reflection shots are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely ducks. We get them here this time of the year, and I love seeing them.
    Amazing bills.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terrific photos, especially the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems this Chinese import(Falcated Duck) has the whole Pacific coast excited. I don't blame you either, I'd be right there if I could. I did see the in flight reflections in the video, very cool and very smooth. Wise words there about not being so locked onto one bird that you miss the flock. The Shoveler gets his due, nice going!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots with perfect reflections. I am so glad you filmed the video as well while the light and reflections were so perfect. Those shovelers really are something.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely shots of the shovelers and their reflections! These ducks, with their outrageous bills, are my favorite to watch and photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for sharing these wonderful moments! made my day!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.