The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Still More Mushrooms and Fungi

Just before I recorded the bird sounds of the previous post I had come across a whole, new to me, spread of mushrooms. A different area, a different mushroom, that's all I can say.
I don't like to disturb them but I did find one uprooted perhaps by the hoof of a deer. This gave me an opportunity to photograph the underside.
 Yes I picked it up and posed it for this photo so my fingers were probably tainted with a most deadly toxin. What I won't do for my followers in getting a good picture.

I continued on through the forest, recorded the bird sounds and pressed on. Soon I found myself in a familiar canyon then finally once again where I had located my first Witches Butter. It was still there but now something new had formed nearby. You can click here and here if you missed the pictures of Witches Butter.
Further on I found this and am not sure if it is the same fungus or not. This was not as leaf-like looking and a much purer white. You can judge by the leaves that this fungus is quite small.

By now, after a several hikes looking for mushrooms and fungus I am beginning to get confused. Have I seen this species before or not? I don't know but here you are.

This is linked to Lisa's Macro Monday

 

15 comments:

  1. Guess I don't have to tell you not to take a bite out of any of those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fungi! I find them pretty difficult to identify so I'm going to taste any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went on a walk with a fungi expert once. I asked him which ones were OK to eat. "The ones from the supermarket" came the reply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to see we have so much in common...tho thousands of miles apart.
    Fungi are a great subject to capture images of.. the only one I can eat with confidence is the Giant Puffball.. and I didn't even see one last autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this road you've taken in exploring your local wilderness area. Who needs to go to far off Borneo or New Guinea to feel like an intrepid scientist documenting exotic flora and fauna? You're showing us we've all got it in our own backyards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh we are so ever grateful for putting your life in danger for illustrating those shrums for us! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for going above and beyond and risking exposure to some sort of fungitoxin!!! The photos are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mushrooms really are a whole different world!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant pictures!

    Herding Cats


    http://seathreepeeo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that's a different kind of mushroom ^_^
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent photos ~ fun trip ~ thanks for sharing ~namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor) linked with Macro Mon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice shots.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.