A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, March 16, 2012

I Don't Know

I enjoy taking pictures of flowers and birds among everything else. I never know what kind of flower it is and as for birds...well I always have to consult my guide book and even then I am never too sure. If I am to know a flower is this or that, or a bird is a such and such it doesn't cause me to look at the subject in any different way than I did before. So what is the point in knowing it's name? I'll forget it anyway the next time I see and photograph it. So I just enjoy the flower or bird as it is, something with no name. I am sure the flower or bird doesn't give a toot anyway and if they did know what name they got stuck with, they probably wouldn't approve anyway. Blue Dick? Titmouse? Naw, pretty sure they wouldn't be too pleased. I don't know what kind of plant this is and that is just fine with me and the plant.


I am always trying different settings so as to compare results.
This was done at 1/320th of a second at f/9

And this at 1/1600th of a second at f/4. You can see the noticable difference.

I thought this little seedling trying to make a go of it in the bark of a dead tree was interesting.
I wonder if he'll make it.

12 comments:

  1. i appreciate that you see beauty, no matter if named or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I understood the speed of the shutters. I understand the concept, but applying it is another matter! I enjoy all your pictures, regardless of what it is of. You're so good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't much care to know the names, either, I'm forgetful, too... I just wanna see & enjoy the beauty of the flowers & birdies! =)

    Thank you for including Landon in your prayers... very much appreciated! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear John,

    The flower is beautiful! I would "blue wildflower with beautiful color" say.
    Have a nice weekend
    regards
    Synke :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to read that you just enjoy what you see and capture with your camera John... I carry binoculars and carry my camera and every time I meet a dog walker or a young family out walking I get asked this and that..
    I must look like a expert.

    I have discovered that their ignorance does enable me to pass on my ? knowledge without question.
    Have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you say makes perfect sense. But I still want to know the name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) inclined to agree with you on those bird names you mentioned but then I put it down to cultural differences/references don't mean the same etc.

    When you experiment with the settings John do you write them down, or only take a couple at a time and check them out? Have you some favourite settings by having done this before?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you're not taking a vote, but I prefer #2. While I walk around in ignorance quite a bit, I find that if I know the name of a plant or bird, I actually remember it better and am more likely to notice it the next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful shots. I love the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Late getting to your blog because we were traveling yesterday, but I laughed out loud at your comments! I am stealing your philosophy! I never remember most of them anyway...and it really doesn't matter anyway. Who was it that said "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet?" Nice photos, and thanks so much for posting the shooting information along with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fully agree with you. And the photos are beautiful. I like the last one very much, that little tough guy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. The flower almost has a rainbow of colors.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.