A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Mural Mystery

Oops, Monday Mural snuck up on me. I can't keep track of the days anymore.

Although I wouldn't say this is a mural, I was intrigued with the portrait of whom I do not know. I hope it isn't of someone I should know. The tagging I am not fond of but I wanted to show the entire scene.

How the artist did this I wonder. It does look like with a spray can of paint for there appears a slight over spray as you can see in the close-up below. Then he allowed excess paint to run at the bottom? But how he did the upper portion in the hair, maybe a brush to pull the paint over?
Pretty neat portrait.

Since I posted this, my friend Andrew from across the pond has opened my eyes to the wonderful art of Banksy which I was unfamiliar with before. Thanks Andrew. Click here to view Andrew's post which has many selections of this unique style of wall art.

11 comments:

  1. so would someone really walk around with a stencil and a can of spray paint in order to leave these images around town? i'd say, yes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stencil idea crossed my mind but I have only seen this one painting around town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stencils are quite common with the graffiti types round about here (not here exactly, I'm in (on) the Atlantic just now) - this looks pretty like they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's Steve Marriot from the Small Faces?

    Ian
    Melbourne

    PS thanks for the tip re word verification.I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be a stencil! The Small Faces - there's a blast from the past!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a stencil John... google Banksy his original work in the UK and around the world has become so valuable buildings have been saved.
    His identity is still unknown (sort of) I will share a post of some of his work soon.

    Let me know your thoughts agfulton@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree it's a stencil. Curious that it was used only once. This is a great example of artist's using negative space to create an image. The tagging is an interesting juxtaposition. This photo lays out an argument for the difference between street art and simplistic tagging. Any idea of the name behind the image? He left his initials. Thanks, John, for participating in this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever it is, it is a nice piece of work...graffiti notwithstanding! Interesting thoughts and responses too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. I love Bansky's work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this one a lot John, especially the color. Have no idea who this guy is supposed to be by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.