A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Quarter Moon

I was catching up on blogs last night when I read on Andrew's Rambles With a Camera about the night having a quarter moon, which last happened in 1935 and will not happen again until 2088. Well, being not so sure where I'll be 76 years from now I thought best to step outside for a looksee. Sure enough, just like Andrew said, there it was. I went back in and got the Kodak to preserve the moment in case I forget when 2088 rolls around. You should click on and read Andrew's post. It's touching. Thanks for showing it to me too Andrew.
I may get asked as to how I got this photo so, first off, I was too lazy to go get my 70-300mm lens. I used the 18-135mm that was on the camera at the time, zoomed out to 135mm. I used my tripod. The ISO was still set at 800 from this morning's nighttime outing. I took several shots underexposing more after each shot. This one, the final shot, was done so at f 5.6, at 1/25th sec., underexposed 5 stops. With my photo program I clarified and unmasked sharpened it, then went to the histogram levels and used a preset contrast adjustment. Finally I cropped it twice at the 3 x 4" setting. I attempted a noise reduction but that eliminated the features of the moon's surface so I undid that. This was a quick and dirty way to get a picture of the moon.

10 comments:

  1. The only term I didn't understand was the "underexposed 5 stops". I so appreciate your details - I attempted to get a shot of a beautiful crescent moon a few weeks ago but wasn't able to get anything so clear. This is a very nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely done w/ the shorter lens. :) just in case you're not available or the sky is cloudy in 2088...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How smart of you to go out and capture this! It was overcast here so I would have missed it even if I had known about it. Maybe in 2088 the sky will be clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! No chance here to see it with all the clouds and rain ... but then you can just post this gain in 2088 for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, now that's a cool way to shoot the moon & that's what I'm gonna do next time! Thanks for that =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't sound all that quick or dirty, but whatever it was it worked. Nice one John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one dedicated guy!
    To go out at night for the moon, in the wee hours of morning for those early shots.
    Thanks for sharing your photos, and writing the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you John! Great shot and excellent info on how you captured it. I have no choce but to use my 55-250mm lens (aka stalker) as the standard 18-55mm just doesnt make the cut.
    I don't sleep either but after lying awake for hours TRYING to sleep I am too lazy to get up and capture a sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I didn't know that. It just happens I took a photo of the moon in a cloudy sky too. (I'm still running behind on my post but should have it up late tonite.) How lucky was I to get a shot of an historical event, although it was just a 55mm shot.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.