A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, March 24, 2012

Waterskiing Geese

I was on a mountain bike ride, stopped by the lake, had just finished eating my apple and was preparing to ride off. On the other side of the lake about a quarter of a mile away, there was all this commotion. A pair of Canada Geese were honking, trying to make a decision, should we stay or should we go? Soon they lifted off and flew close to the water straight for me.

Neat. Hey, this might be a good picture if they fly right over head.

I ripped off my glove, zipped open the pocket on my vest and pulled out my point & shoot. The geese were still on target and half way across the lake by now, honking the entire way. I fumbled about getting the camera out from it's silk drawstring pouch. The honking was growing louder. The geese were closing in. Frantically I pushed the tiny button to turn on the camera, the lens slowly came awake, I held the camera out, and couldn't see a darn thing in the screen as I had sunglasses on. Aiming in the general direction I quickly pushed the shutter release button, hoping for the best as they skidded in to a landing on the water.

This what I got:

One blind shot and I couldn't have expected any more even if I tried.
The above is a cropped version from the original shot below.


20 comments:

  1. love it! and i could feel your frustration/anticipation building as you were trying to get the camera out and active!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we're just lucky. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent!! You had me on the edge of my chair hoping you would have time to get a shot of them before it was too late!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love "real" point and shoot photos. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Some of my favourite pictures came to be the same way - by chance and not by design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful images John... it's a great sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out very well...but I felt panic as you told your story. So many times I have missed a great shot because I was just too slow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems they are having fun on the water! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all can relate to your episode with the camera John; it made me smile as I read your lines and wow, didn't you do well. You must've been really pleased when you got to editing your pics; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing photo! That was one lucky shot! Very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing shot even if you weren't shooting blind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a smooth landing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful story John, you really know how to keep our attention, haha. Nice photos, especially since you didn't see a darn thing.
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent. Loved the play by play and so glad you got your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lucky shot, they go so synchrone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely, beautiful captures of mood and moment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one amazing shot! Really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well after all that it turned out perfect! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.