A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The High Cost of Gasoline

This is my nearby filling station. I use it all the time. One night, around 2 AM, a couple idiots pulled up to the nearest gas pump (now missing) in their van and attempted to steal gasoline. How you steal gasoline from a gas pump I don't know but they were filling containers in the van when something, a spark or whatever set it all ablaze. The two idiots ran off while everything went up in flames, including their van. This happened months ago and the station has yet to reopen but the owner tells me they plan to do so soon. Meanwhile I have to go elsewhere down the road to get fuel, a slight irritation.

The Union 76 sign on the corner of the roof got pretty hot.

13 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! that's a shot not many folks get! yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops! Dare I ask what the gas prices are out there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes it even worse when you know it burnt cuz of 2 idiots, too... i wish people would use the brain God gave them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia kindly assumes people have a brain...I am sometimes not so sure! What a senseless waste! That melted sign has a major "wow" factor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it's hard to figure the human out. Gas is expensive for all of us. Why do some think they can skirt the issue is beyond me. That second photo is really cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a pretty sight John but your images are a record of the event.
    We had the treat of fuel tanker drivers striking last week... it caused panic and long queues at the pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There have been reports in the British press of similar idiots who have solved the problem posed by lockable petrol caps on cars. When they want to steal fuel they simply drill through the cap. Think about it. Drill. Sparks. Bang. Adios. It can only be a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm. Stupid seems like too kind a word so I won't use it. Those idiots are very lucky to still be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the guys I see in my in-school suspension room on a daily basis. I laugh and way I am training them well. This must have been one heck of a fire. genie

    ReplyDelete
  10. no other words than "what an idiots! "

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ask the owner what he used to prevent the wood catching fire

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good grief - I think we take petrol stations a bit for granted and forget that they're a potential bomb.

    I hope the price in the one you now have to go to hasn't rocketed since the competition has gone out of business for a while.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.