A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Randsburg, CA.

After our first night at Red Rock Canyon State Park north of Mojave we motored the 27 miles east to Randsburg. Gold was discovered here in 1895. Today it is mostly tourism that keeps the few antique shops, general store and ice cream parlor going. With a population of around 70, this is my kind of place.

I found this little place on a side street and briefly imagined living here, but would I? No, as this is the high desert and it does get snow in the winter. I'll take a place in the deserts further south, on flatland where I can see for miles and miles in all directions.

Then I walked around to the side and saw it required just a little bit more work than I am interested in doing at this stage in my life. Plus there is nowhere to park the Little House on the Highway.

One of the shops on the main street. Everything is closed on weekdays. On weekends some open if the proprietor feels like it. I love that rust on the facade. And look at all those cool bottles in the window.

8 comments:

  1. I have 6 bad boys in the cellblock so got out my computer and turned my iPhone into a hot spot. Now I am having fun looking at your photos. This old house would be check and a fixer upper from someone who loved SNOW all winter long. And the shop with the rust for a paint job is absolutely lovely and so inviting. It might have a bit more room for these smelly boys who reek of AXE perfume/whatever . I think I am going to gag before the bell rings and they get their smelly selves out of here. It has been a busy day. Cold agin outside and really cold at night. I am ready for the desert. genie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there! Don't like snow! The photos helped me feel like I had been there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I like small town living, but this is a little too 'rustic' for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to see John.. many thanks for sharing it with me..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooow awesome textures. had never heard of this town, had to look it up. i guess would make a great spot on the way out of cali, somewhere out there in the desert areas.
    great captures as always xxomeli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear John,

    very rustic houses have you got shot. Nevertheless, the houses have a lot of charisma! "A wild landscape" !!

    In the month of May, I'm back in your beautiful country! ;-) I can not wait and am very excited!

    very best wishes
    Synke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool place... I'll put Randsburg on my bucket-list...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.