A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, April 27, 2012

Searching for a Winner

Isn't it just wonderful to have strato-streaks in your photos? They add so much interest.

These are Smoke Trees. A few years back I took a photo of one, in this very same arroyo. I kind of liked it and entered it in a low key online contest and got an  honorable mention or something. No big deal but now every time I go back I'm always looking around trying to get another "winner". This one here has too much tree.

A bit simpler which was more like what the "winner" was.

A seperate shot with the polarizing filter getting into the action.

I am still working through those messed up settings pictures blowing off dozens of images not worth putting onto the blog. It was really dumb of me to mess with what already worked but at least this wasn't a major trip that I ruined a lot of pictures on. Fortunately I eventually put the camera back to right and we'll be in those pictures soon. But hey, no dust on the lens this time!

10 comments:

  1. …I'd never heard that term strato-streaks before; I take it you meant the jet-stream (if that's what it actually is), in the sky? I picked up one of these actually in a shot yeterday too, so now I have a term for it. Smoke trees; really interesting and I like the terrain you're travelling there. So does the smoke tree actually bear leaves of a kind at all? Sounds like lesson learnt not to deviate too far from your familiar camera settings after all. It can only get better from hereon John ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do like those last 2 shots (as well as the first). i really like the 2nd to last in color. gorgeous soft glow to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking trees! I love that polarized one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like seeing the tree with some mountains in the background, and the light is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice images John.. like Carole your streaks comment was new to me but so apt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking pictures John.
    I like your term 'Strato Streaks' sounds much more dramatic than 'Vapour Trails'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the 3rd one is a "winner". I like the "strato streak". Even in the desert away from other civilization, I still see these jet trails in my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh. really like that black and white !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they're all gorgeous, but love the blue and composition of the first.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.