A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, April 8, 2012

Why Try?

For those who may have missed a few posts months back, I went through a phase of trying to master...or at least make some decent black & white images. Photos that were more than just one click of the button in the photo processing program - 'convert to black and white'. One day last week while out in the field I pulled out my piece of junk cell phone and took the picture below. This is naturally after I re-educated myself on how to take a picture with the phone. I never use the darn thing. Yesterday I finally got around to pulling the tiny little card out of the phone and download the picture. This is a pretty darn good picture I think. It has the full range of tones from white to black, sharp and detailed. Why should I agonize with the Nikon DSLR and my photo processing program for black and white pictures?

The last time I took a picture with the cell phone was right after I got it back in Dec. 2010 and took this picture while playing with it. I was impressed then. Think I should use it more for black & white photography.
Just don't tell anyone. We'll let everyone think I use my Nikon and a fancy $$$ lens for the great black and white pictures that will appear on this blog.

Happy Easter!


10 comments:

  1. I had to smile at the thought...the photos look great posted...but just don't work too well when you try to have them printed! The first photo is a really interesting one... stark building all alone...

    I also like the composition of that second one...especially the way the books are in the foreground and the book store at the back. Nice tie-in!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should reconsider calling your cell phone a piece of junk, these are great shot! Proof that even the simplest cameras can compete with all the fancy $$$ ones and win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures have never been the product of the camera.

    Look at the great old images of days gone by that were taken with little more than a wood box with a piece of glass for a lens.

    It's always been about first seeing the image in your head. Which, whether you realize it or not is something that you've been doing for a few months while thinking about black and white images.

    cheers,
    Peter
    away we go

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup, i've begun using my cell for a few pictures for my blog recently. have been very impressed - as long as i don't try to enlarge them. :)

    i really like that top shot. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of cell phone do you use for your photos?
    Glad you mastered the photo feature, one would never know. I like it when people use both kinds of cameras and then say so on their blogs. Technology is surprising today. I too like the top photo. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shot of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might as well. It amazes me what cell phone cameras can do. Have a happy and blessed Easter John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful to see John.. there was an article in this months National Geographic giving the numbers of how many digital photographs have been taken.. year on year. My copy is a work so I don't have the numbers but it does mention the rise of images by cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not the camera...it's the photographer. There you go.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.