The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Annular Solar Eclipse
















Well you can see by the above photo it was a pretty dramatic event.


Okay, there is no photo.  And there was no drama.  I left the desert in the morning and logged in 258 miles driving to a vantage point that would be on the center line of the eclipse path thinking I would achieve maximum effect there.  My only concern at this new position next to Honey Dry Lake was clouds.  But as the climatic time approached the clouds were all gone and I was ready.  I checked the time - 6:31pm.  The moon is now fully on the sun leaving only a "ring of fire".  Nothing.  I've experienced full on eclipses of the sun before and was expecting at least a noticeable change in the light, but truth be known, if you didn't know anything was going on in the heavens you'd go on with business as usual as did the birds.  If I had protective eye wear or a welder's helmet with me then I would have been able to see the "ring".  As it was, the sun was still much to bright to look at it and taking a picture was out of the question for the sunlight would damage the sensor.  But all was for naught.  A lady showed me the pictures she got holding in front of her camera the free "eclipse viewing shield" she picked up just by chance at the local museum in Susanville.  And my friends, her pictures were pretty cool looking.  A "ring of fire" just like they said.


9 comments:

  1. oh what a dissapointment; at least you tried. Amazing that the viewing shield held in front of the camera would have been such a success. Even if I had that I wouldn't have thought to put it in front of the lens and photograph through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh as I was looking for your photo (and thinking I lost my internet connection). In an odd way, it made me feel better. I was feeling a little guilty because I totally forgot to go out and look for the eclipse!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is sad, all the efforts for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping you would get some really cool shots...but, at least you can say you were there! I laughed at the photo you posted...

    ReplyDelete
  5. well dang it! but at least you got to see hers!

    i saw a partial from a blogger in AZ that had a welder's helmet to shoot thru.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John...WOW nice ..I would love to have been there!! LOL!!! ; }

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you were there John to experience the moment for yourself even if it didn't turn out as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently you are moving around out there?
    I just happen to see your post this morning. The eclipse here was QUITE dramatic! I was shocked. Got a few dogs barking too. Boy are you smart with studying up, and getting information about photography on this light. I did not do anything except have a party! Have fun out there. Keep your powder dry...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen the pictures in the paper and indeed the ones you were sent in your next blog, but how disappointing to hear there was no notable effect.
    We were miles away from the 1999 Cornish eclipse and it was cloudy to boot but still there was a noticable and unusual dip in the light (only another 78 years to the next one here)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.