The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Baby Ducks for World Bird Wednesday

This is not my normal sort of post for World Bird Wednesday but I thought the behavior of the female Mallard extraordinary in that she brought her brood right to me. I had stopped on a levee to take a break during my mountain bike ride. I could hear baby ducks peeping in the nearby reeds and thought I'd seek them out when I finished my apple. Just as I was preparing to leave here comes mama with all her babies following along. I honestly think she was proud and wanted to show them off to me. This is not a tame city park Mallard either - pure wild. And too, these little ducklings were so damn cute I had to show them off myself for World Bird Wednesday.

This is linked to Pine River Review


21 comments:

  1. Very, very cute ... and Mama was obviously very proud to show them off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say mama duck is quite comfortable with humans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...you're right, she brought her babies up so you could get a better look at them! What a proud Mama! So glad you stopped, thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's just showing them off!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby ducks are sooooo cute!
    But I really like the proud Mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soo lovely and great captured! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool experience, it is wonderful that the momma was showing off her babies to you. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am eyeing those baby ducks! They are so adorable, and fluffy, running all over. Poor mom maybe needed a break with your camera in hand. Very nice post, impressed with your videoing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how special the moment! Looks like she hatched a whole pack of eggs, an even dozen. What a treat for you to capture that little excursion of theirs John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How utterly delightful! I thoroughly enjoyed watching these ducklings and the proud mama! What a moment...or two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your video is heavy on the "Awww" factor. I watched it twice to count the babes.(12 or 13???)
    Hey...are you double certain that the Mom wasn't expecting a hand-out?:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome. Hard not to believe that show wasn't just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid post! Ducks are a blessing on the world!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're so cute.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! Great work!
    Happy WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could one resist such cuteness? Somehow, I think momma duck was looking for a handout. A pity you had an apple and not organic bread.

    Really nice video.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your ducks! We planted 200 malbec grapes last weekend, well, over 4 days.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.