A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, May 3, 2012

Look Before You Delete



Wildflowers in the desert were at a minimum so when I did find something, anything, I took pictures. Worse than I am with bird names, I know little to nothing as to flower identification so don't ask what this is.
I just take pictures.

Then a bee (or fly) came along posing a challenge for me to get a picture of it with the flower. He never held still long enough, always on the move and the shots didn't come out that great. I was going to pass on these pictures, their not being that special, except it wasn't till just now did I notice the long proboscis this insect had. That alone I thought made the pictures worthy of posting.

This shot with the white rock background shows the length best - almost as long as the body?

It briefly touched down as the wings remained whirring away.

Nature is so fascinating.



17 comments:

  1. Cracking pictures John, well captured.
    I'd hazard a guess it's one of three species.Either an Orchid or Honey Bee, or a Beefly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes fascinating when you can look so close, you never see this with only your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wondered if bees, hummingbirds, etc. who have tongues (proboscis) that are almost as long as their body, roll it up like one of those party favors you blow out and it coils back! :D

    Sorry, its my lack of coffee talking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great shot of that bee...whatever he is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is very cool. glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it does look like a bee but I don't know of a bee with a stick from its face. A hornet maybe? In any case, you're lucky you were able to capture it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bee really shows how tiny the flowers were. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like desert wildflowers. They have a short time to reproduce before the dry heat of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful shot of the whadayacallit on the thingumybob, doing whateveritis. yep, nature's amazing, if a little confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your plant is called trailing four o'clock (Allionia incarnata), and I agree on the beefly ID. That's a great shot of it going in for the nectar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your images John.
    I have a few of bees in flight above me...I must review them.
    Take care and thanks for the sleepless night dreaming of rattlers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bee chose a lovely flower to "visit".
    Have a good weekend John! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen one of these before...what fabulous photos--and you made me laugh. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know what happened just now. My post posted twice! I deleted one, just so you know. I adore your photos--what a talented photographer you are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know what they are either, but they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty colour and great close-up shots! Desert flowers are often amazingly pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.