The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Ocotillo

Most of the Ocotillo were past their prime already having begun the process of shedding their leaves. I was able to locate some still doing well. These are one of my favorite desert plants.

Their bright red flower clusters at the tips of the stalks appear like a flame at the tip of a candle.
Okay, how about a red hot poker?

11 comments:

  1. I remember encounters with this plant when I was in Arizona! Beautiful, but not very friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they sure are pretty. thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this before. Your photo with the red tip against the bright blue sky is really beautiful! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow, it looks like rubies and emeralds. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first shot makes me think of neon lights in the desert. What a fascinating plant...going from reaching for the heaven to blooms leaning toward the ground filled with such a nice red. I have no idea about desert and the flowers and cactus that grow there. These are all great shots. genie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first shot makes me think of neon lights in the desert. What a fascinating plant...going from reaching for the heaven to blooms leaning toward the ground filled with such a nice red. I have no idea about desert and the flowers and cactus that grow there. These are all great shots. genie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one odd looking plant. I bet it was thinking "hey you Stalker man, shove off and let me bask alone !"

    Excellent captures though

    Shaun Valleys ShutterBug

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one of my favorites. I do miss see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely plant to see John... and as is usual a newbie for me so thanks for sharing.
    The Rattle Snake went done quite well at work... it would have scared the shi% out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen ocotillo in bloom. It's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool plant which I've never seen or heard of before.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.