The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Photo Tip

When you are at a State or National Park trying to locate flowers to photograph and cannot find any, go to their visitor center.  They usually always have a watered, well cared for garden/nature trail displaying all the local flora that are to be found in the area.  Just don't tell anyone this is what you had to resort to.
 
A flowering Yucca. Notice how the bees like it.

Taken with a polarizing filter.

Cholla backlit by the sun.

Barrel Cactus

Another Barrel Cactus with blossoms to come, blossoms all done and one in it's glory.

Beavertail cactus flower not quite fully opened. This is one cactus you do not want to touch. The spines are like fine little hairs, extremely difficult to see and remove and they hurt for days!

Yes, these were taken at the visitor center at Anza Borrego State Park.

19 comments:

  1. It matters not where you found these - you did a great job presenting them! That cholla (nasty critter) is beautiful backlit by the sun! I did manage to avoid most personal contact with cactus when I was in Arizona, but the horse I rode into the desert really wanted to run my husband into the saguaro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived in the Southwest for a couple of decades. I miss the blossoming cacti in springtime. Some people don't see their beauty like I do, but your photos really show them off nicely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch!! you have captured them well and love what the filter did

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the first two shots. Looks like a Bee party on the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, it gets the job done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great shots & I esp like the polarizing filter shot w/ that deep blue sky! WoW!

    about the magazine pics being picked for cover shots, i was worried about that very thing w/ that particular photo cuz of all the trees & there isn't many colors to choose from to match the font colors, which I've noticed on mag covers... i'll keep working at it, tho... thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love cacti and these are some terrific images of them. But that backlit cholla is just perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope there is still something left in bloom when we pass through the desert next week, cause my camera is ready for some action!

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent set love the backlit shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work, no matter where you found 'em. The only shot I have of a roadrunner is perched on the welcome sign at Anza-Borrego!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes...I can see the bees! Lovely shots, man! I like them all
    BShell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful images John amazing plants to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have just recently returned from Phoenix and saw the cactus in bloom. How amazing they are and how nicely you have captured them. I too took pictures and it was in the garden by the hospital where we were going ... Everyone seems to have gardens and I can see why. Thank you ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never thought of cactus plants having flowery blooms. You have really taught me a lot tonight. These flowers are beautiful. That state park must be amazing. genie

    ReplyDelete
  15. The spines on the barrel cactus just make me want to take three steps back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I won't tell, but I will keep it in mind, just in case :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that back-lit cholla photo. And the polarizing filter really did a nice job enhancing the Yucca... I may have to look into one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so sure you found these in the wild, but hey, visitor center gardens are perfectly acceptable. The photos are great.
    Yes, I agree that your barrel cactus look a lot different from the ones we see here. Of course, I may have my identification wrong... The visitor center labeling is sure to be correct.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.