A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Please

The day I was to leave, I sat there enjoying my cup of coffee in the morning light of the playa.  Suddenly in front of me a couple hundred yards away there appeared what I thought was a large dog loping along by itself crossing the great expanse of the dry lake. Great. Someone's dog is lost. It will never survive out here.  I picked up my binoculars and was very surprised to see it was a deer.  I have never seen an animal cross the playa before as it is 10 miles wide and 40 miles long.  I have never seen a deer anywhere in this part of Nevada.  Pronghorn Antelope yes.  Here this fellow crossed right in front of me soon after I was back on the road.

After awhile and many miles later I came across this old homestead.  I am bad about having dust on my lens and was just about to eliminate the speck above the building on the right when I recalled a bird had flown into the view as I snapped the shutter.  You may notice three specks off to the right in the green...more pronghorn.

It was well posted as private property KEEP OUT so I respected that even though no one was around for miles.  I would have enjoyed nosing around inside.
That's another bird in the distance above the roof.

This little town which had not many more people than the speed limit, added a personal touch to the speed limit sign.  Now how could anyone ignore that?

11 comments:

  1. i'm loving these photos. sure hope you don't run out soon, or your wife will have to send you back on the road! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last shot is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're really getting me primed for my, as yet, unplanned vacation to the southwest. I think you have mentioned that the best plan is no plan at all, so I guess I'm all set. I hope to swing through Nevada on my return. You've got me in a mood for old shacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially like the cabins in the color shot. It shows how much green the desert actually holds. At least in some seasons. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so enjoy my travels with you. And that deer? What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful moments when you spot that 'something' and you have the time to line it up for a photo-shoot. In the middle of no-where on the bus-tour was a camel standing alone which I'd loved to have gotten a photograph of in that landscape. Our tour-guide did comment that it belonged to a (no fences) camel-farm though. Enjoyed each of your magic landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great how you travel to these amazing areas. My favorite shot is the desert homestead in b&w... excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the B&W conversion. That was a great find--as were the antelope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos John. I'm catching up on all your posts. This is all awesome, great trip you are having.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.