A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, June 11, 2012

Automobiles 2


This auto or truck I was really fascinated with.  At the rear there is a bucket for mineral ore and the bucket could be dumped like a dump truck.  I was so engrossed in trying to figure out if the truck was produced for this purpose or they improvised a way to make it into a dump truck.  Whatever the case, I forgot to take a photo of the dump bucket and the gearing that operated it.  Grrrr. 
I guess I will have to go back to Bodie and find out.
 

Someone has taken the valve covers and side cover which I bet were pretty cool looking embossed with the brand name of the vehicle.  This is an unusual design with the intake and exhaust manifolds on the right hand side of the engine.  The port you see here was for water cooling. 

Did you notice those front wheels?  Well here is the rear.  I wonder how they looked brand new.

I wish I had done a close-up of the front hub.  Here is it from the first photo enlarged. 
Great craftsmanship.

This was nearby but cannot say it belonged to the dump truck but I wanted to include it to show how wood was used quite a bit in the framing for the body in those days.

More body parts nearby of a different car.  Here someone leaned a running board up.  Who's to say it belonged to this car?




12 comments:

  1. You certainly have shared an in depth view from Bodie for us to get the feel from afar. Thanks for sharing such a unique part of the globe with us John

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely got some great shots here! That closeup of the firing order...wow! I have a friend who restored a 1935 Chevy truck and during the restoration, he showed us the large amount of wood used in the framing. I was surprised at how much there was, and the curvature of the pieces! This has been a wonderfully interesting journey so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are what you call custom wheels, how awesome! I bet this was one bumpy ride in its day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the dump bucket rig, too. :) left to die a very slow death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A racing car/dump truck! LoL! heheheee =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so envious of those old trucks, i can only imagine what they looked like in their prime. That Shot with the tappet guide is a brilliant idea, nowerdays its just sticking a label on and bobs your uncle, Job done
    Shaun Valleys ShutterBug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic images John.. it's a real treasure trove for a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it is a very good excuse to visit Bodie again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rusty machinery is soooo photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the wooden wheels. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool post John.
    Had that been over here in the U.K, someone would have hauled it away. There's a lot of money in scrap these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So incredibly interesting, so much history! Thanks for sharing from your side of the world.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.