A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Beauty in Bodie


The beauty in Bodie is everything is left just as it was when the occupant walked away.
Some may notice the electrical insulators.
Yes in time Bodie did have electricity and I'll touch on that later.

My first attempt in photographing through the dirty windows.  I got it down later on.

A few of the homes are still in good enough condition that they are used for housing for the resident rangers.  For the most part you wouldn't know except for the sign in front stating it is a ranger's residence so as to discourage one from going up to the window for a peek.
Then there are other signs that the home is occupied.

No mice in this house.

We'll explore more of the town and its buildings this coming week.

Thank you to all who enjoy the occasional black & white.  I'll try to remember to do one each day as it really is the way Bodie should be shown.


15 comments:

  1. This is such fun - to get to see the whole town through your eyes! Thanks, John, for doing such a great job of capturing the essence of the town along with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. quite some history sitting on the earth there in Bodie; yes definately use the black and whites too; love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a world where nothing is ever left as it was I can share your take on beauty. I agree: B/W certainly works well with these shots - maybe a little sepia too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, where did you end up this time. I love these photos! (and thanks for the b&w, very good!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the old wood! and cute guard kitty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beware of guard cat! LoL! heheheee =)
    I love all that dark wood on the structures, there... It had to be one awesome experience to walk thru a ghost town!
    LOVE the black & white! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite places...such a national treasure. In fact, I love the whole eastern side of the Sierras. I'd love to be able to photograph Bodie at sunset. I was there at high noon; luckily it wasn't too hot though. Glad you're out having adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking us a long. This has been an interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many cool things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your last photo is most effective. You really have taught yourself how to do fabulous b&w.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing. I want to go and see what is left of the town. Love the black and white shot and your developing technique on the others. genie

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Great images and what history. I love the cat in the window!
    The B&W shot is great,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey John, wonderful images. If your having trouble taking photos through window and reflections try screwing onto the lens a polorising filter. it cuts down the reflections massively.

    Shaun Valleys ShutterBug

    ReplyDelete
  14. alright, I'm stopping here and now. nothing could ever never ever top the kitty face in the window. history be damned, I'm fulfilled. excellent shots. I especially like your black and whites. you've mastered it my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.