A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bodie Hotel and Fitness Center



The Bodie Hotel.

Imagine arriving by stage and pulling up to a stop in front of the Bodie Hotel.  The first thing you notice is this town has paved sidewalk.  Wow, this is nice.  Then you soon discover only the hotel has this nice feature and your visit to Bodie goes downhill from there on.

Let's hear it for photo programs as these next two photos were really bad with the dirty windows and all and I was able to greatly improve upon them.

Typical hotel rates were $1-2 a day with meals. Notice the open safe in back.

Directly across the street was the Dechambeau Hotel and I.O.O.F Hall (International Order of Foresters) and more of that deceiving sidewalk.

I guess at the Bodie Hotel getting a meal at any time was nice but if you were more interested in wetting your whistle and washing down the desert dust from the long coach ride in, then this was the hotel to step into first. I suppose it could boast having the longest bar in Bodie.

At the I.O.O.F. Hall where the Bodie Men's Club convened, one could get in their daily exercise workout.  I don't see miners doing this considering the work they did was a workout in itself.  Perhaps the merchants, shop owners and gentlemen of Bodie?

The stairwell at the back of the hall where I can easily picture someone making their escape out back while somebody with a gun in hand entered up front.  There was lodging upstairs. The stairwell was covered with a roof, a unique feature I thought.  I also thought I had a photo of it from that angle too but evidently not, probably due to shooting into the sun.  Really harsh troublesome light by this time of the day.

16 comments:

  1. OH, and the old Sylvester switchboard; I used to LOVE using one of those in my first job (now that's telling some!) I could still pick it up and run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are so unique and your comments very funny. I like the exercise room and the type-machine, I used to hammer on it in my young years in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting sights there in Bodie...I didn't realize they had exercise equipment out there in the wild west - as you say, I would have thought they had enough exercise just surviving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wild place Bodie must have been in its colorful past!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy you are still posting Bodie photos, I love them. The colors in all of these photos are great, and the comments (as always) make me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why would they put a roof on a set of outside stairs? Bodie sure is interesting...

    Now, did ya see any ghosts? Is the old mine town even purported to be haunted? Any spirits roaming the grounds? Inquiring minds wanna know!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. really would not have expected a workout facility there!

    i've decided that if i ever take a sight-seeing trip, i want you to be my tour guide. i love how you explore and question and imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Bodie photo journey. Seeing your pictures makes me want to start photographing again.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesterdays pics gave me the creeps..
    These are Wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. More awesome shots of this ghost town. I can almost imagine it in it's heyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors in the photos are great! Always interesting how these towns popped up and died.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that first color photo with the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am eyeing the last photo of the building. the great grains of wood, the browns, the contrast, and old windows, What a place. Very nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great adventure. Now I need to add "West" to my list for adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meal at all hours and sidewalks are things the town I live in needs. What a terrific place this is!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.