In 1893, the Standard Company which owned and operated the mine built its own hydroelectric plant, about 12.5 miles away on Green Creek. The plant developed 6,600 volts of alternating current to power the company's 20-stamp mill. This pioneering installation is marked as one of the country's first transmissions of electricity over a long distance.
A grand time to work for a power company long before government safety regulations were mandated.
The advent of electricity in Bodie meant no more excuses for skipping church on Sundays
for now they could hold evening worship also.
Praise the Lord
(and the Standard Company)