A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Gotta Run to the Store


A disastrous fire swept through Bodie in 1892 and many of the homes and buildings were destroyed.  A slow rebuild took place but in 1932 another fire, believed to have been started by a little boy playing with matches destroyed all but 5-10% of the town.  No doubt there were other general stores but this one is the only one that remains, with its inventory to a large degree still intact.


Need a new set of runners for your sled before winter sets in? Or a new miner's carbide lamp? An animal trap or a gold panning tin?  But did anyone really need to paint their floor?

The opposite window was devoted to the ladies. I think of the women who strolled by this window daily longing for the dress displayed on this dress maker's form. Or maybe it was no more than the form for the sign below offers More than 200 patterns to choose from. The other sign advertises Holeproof Hosiery - Paris Colors for Smart Occasions.

Here I finally got smart, removed the lens hood from the camera and pressed the lens flat against the dirty glass.  I was surprised at how well it came out and did this the rest of the day with pretty good luck.

I bet the price for gasoline was quite high having been brought in from such a great distance away.


13 comments:

  1. Wonderful journey through the ghost town! Love that shot through the window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice set of pics captures the atmosphere perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do they have that old store guarded? i cannot imagine folks leaving antiques sitting there, undisturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SEE YOU... in the second shot, standing in the background along with the other great reflections!

    Love the old gas pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, John, that's the coolest. Like stepping back in time to Little House on the Prairie. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you continue to find all these places. They are utterly amazing. !!!!

    Shaun Valleys ShutterBug

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating old store. I would love to go in and browse, but your photos are as close as I'll come, and lots of fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these pictures! They remind me of Dawson City, Yukon - only this looks a bit more authentic than the displays they had in some places there. I follow your blog daily, but I don't often comment - mostly because I'm so envious of your pictures from the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An amazing place; I'd take far too many pictures in a place like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting place! I would love to roam around there. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like all of the stuff. Nice ceiling too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at all the stuff in that store! I can't believe there's sooo much stuff! They must watch Bodie pretty darn good to keep thieves out... Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. one of the five sisters prominently displayed. what an era. this place is like a museum, but better, because it's not removed and then set up in a different spot, but remains precisely where it all unfolded. the flavor could not be better preserved than what is. I thank you for this special tour. It made my day. sorry I didn't catch it sooner, but better late than never, hey? I know I'm watching Deadwood tonight.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.