A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, June 4, 2012

Lean On Me


The Park Service leaves Bodie in an arrested state of decay.  They do little to preserve the buildings other than allowing them to become any worse.  Probably the biggest challenge is preventing them from falling over.  At 8300' elevation the wind can get to blowing pretty hard off the eastern slopes of the High Sierra.

Here you can see examples of supports added to help buildings remain upright.

The lumber mill.


Someday something will be needed for this building as it is listing to the starboard side.

Even and outhouse will get some support if needed.

No matter how little remains of the original structure, the Park Service is there to lend a helping hand, uh...er..board.

10 comments:

  1. so I take it, there's a 'standing' heritage protection order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in love with Bodie since my aunt and uncle took me there when I was a little boy, oh so many years ago. And yeah, it hasn't changed much. I definitely felt the effects of the thinner atmosphere on my trip last Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is rather funny, isn't it? to think that's their job - to leave it as a ghost town, but try to prop it up a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with TexWisGirl! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is rather strange to preserve the decay...but nice for the people to see. Interesting shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I worked on a farm we occasionally had to support straw stacks in this way. The supports were refered to as "soldiers" as they resembled a line of sloping guns! The clever stacker tied the stack internally and avoided the scorn of the old hands. "Invisible soldiers!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have been in hog heaven shooting pictures here. A true ghost town with the exception of the ranger living there. There is so much to see out west. Bodie is awesome. I wonder how many people visit here in a given year. Your captures are superb and I really like the black and white. genie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good think you didn't need the outhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very interesting that they have to protect it but all they do is "prop" it up with timber. I love the outhouse. I can imagine this town being like those in the old Western movies. Great images!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arrrr, i think that old shack has years left in it yet. couple more supports and it'll be good as new.

    Shaun Valleys ShutterBug

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.