A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Yosemite Valley


Miles before you reach the Valley itself, one of the iconic features of Yosemite Valley comes into view, Half Dome.

Then once in the Valley you marvel at all the wondrous features as you slowly drive along, and find it impossible to not stop for one of the most popular one of all,
Yosemite Falls.

Yosemite Falls is the highest falls in North America at 2425' (739 meters) and the 6th highest in the world.  It is made up of three falls 1430', 675' and 320' so in my mind that's not the same as one single free fall, but whatever.

The last time I was in Yosemite Valley was October of 1990.  I just happened to be nearby at the same time all the federal park's campgrounds were closed because our illustrious government was unable to come to an agreement on the nation's budget.  So I tooled on in just to see what was going on in Yosemite Valley.  I have to admit, it was pretty cool to see not one camper in any of the campgrounds.

Spring is the best time to view all the falls (there's 11 in the Valley) due to the volume of water from snow melt in the high country.

Here's a B&W version of above.  I liked both so you get a two-fer.

It is difficult to not take advantage of all the different views that are available.  But what's this?  Buoys in the river?  I have never seen this before.  Sort of ruins the scene.  As I would come to learn later on, there would be quite a few changes made since I was here last, all of which left me a little disheartened for I have memories and they are now nothing more than just that, memories.

Today a concessionaire in the park rents rubber rafts to visitors.  In my day we made do with large truck inner tubes and flimsy vinyl floating mattresses that folded up like a taco when you sat on them and needed constant blowing up to stay afloat.  I still do not understand the buoys and rope.

11 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful Nature Parc, I visited in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been there - probably won't get there at this rate! I love the view of the falls - it would be a magnificent place to go! But, sadly, everything has to be commercialized, and of course, the citizens have to be protected, cosseted, coddled, and several other words I can't recall at this point - by our government who always knows best! I must NOT get on my soapbox this morning! Too much to do. Thank you, John, for your always enjoyable photographs, and equally enlightening conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. majestic scenery! Fabulous photographs ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. the falls are beautiful as is all the greenery in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband just got back from a motorcycle trip in CA and he got to go to Yosemite. I was mighty jealous. Love these pics especially the first black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so beautiful. Never been there, wish I could go.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one beautiful river that I would love to throw an inner-tube in and float down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this park. I have found memories of visiting when I was kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been to Yosemite but you photos make me realize I must go some day! Absolutely gorgeous! Love seeing your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Yosemite photos are very, very beautiful John.
    I'm sad to hear so many things have changed, are gone, washed away etc. Of course we all understand that things change, but I can understand your frustration when there is hardly anything left/inaccessible from your youth

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.