A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, July 6, 2012

The Taller You Are, The Harder You Fall


When the wind blows these trees are fun to watch swaying back and forth high up.  But if the wind is really fierce sometimes the sheer weight and bulk will eventually uproot these giants.  Then if they do not have the soft forest floor to land on they can snap in half like a twig.

This tree fell across the ravine and although it is hard to judge it's size, I was barely able to touch the tree while standing beneath it.

You can see by these photos the real difficulty I was having getting pictures in the low-light forest and have some detail only to deal with where when sunlight did show through the colors got really blown out.  Let's try a black and white and see how it looks.
Eh....oh well.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know they could really fall down. That must have given a noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine the sound it would make when one falls! Your photos always give me a sense of what it would be like to be there - however, I think the massive size of these trees is just hard to comprehend without actually being there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how giant they are yet how fragile they are at the same time. I think your pictures came out incredibly well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOve the black and white one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are truly awesome trees. I like the black and white. Pet Sinbad for me.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redwoods are amazing. I would love to visit there again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't imagine the crash of such a giant...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.