The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, August 17, 2012

How Evolution Works


I'll end my stories about my grandparents here.  What started out as a mere observation of my age last Monday being the very exact same as my grandfather's the day he died evolved into several days of reminescing about my grandparents.  I had no plan or idea it would go there,  but it was a great journey and it seems my readers enjoyed it as much as I.  And I thank you.

As for the title of this post, you expecting something profound from me?



12 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed the journey...and you made me laugh out loud this morning with your last statement! What an interesting photograph - just goes to show you that there is interest and intrigue when you view the world through another's eyes! I am headed off on a week-long trip tomorrow, and can only hope to capture HALF as many clever shots as you do on your journeys! I will catch up with you next weekend! Until then...have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed meeting your family, I like those old stories. When getting older you look back more often and have time to see things in focus. You can realize better how our parents have lived and what they have gone through.
    Not much evolution to see in this photo, ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing those stories. I hope there's more to come someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that simple rust among the rocks and blooms. nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photo!
    Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a human point of view, I'd say that evolution is so very wrong...

    But I like to discover Simbad trips, so... Pleasure is still here !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your last few posts John.. wonderful memories for you and many thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good I was hoping the can wasn't going to lead to some bathroom story, whew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I was! :p
    You're lucky John, unfortunately I didn't have the chance to meet my grandmothers.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got caught up on all these stories about your grandmothers and family. Interesting stuff! I had a real mean grandmother. Her motto was "Children should be seen and not heard" and when I stepped out of line I got "thumped on the ear or the back of the head". She "tried" to teach me some manners but the lessons were quickly forgotten the minute I was out of sight. She lived to be 99 years, and believe me, that's a LOT of thumps that I got on the head over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a very good story teller. Enjoyed reading your family stories.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.