A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, August 12, 2012

In the News



I saw this in the "Odd News" online, about the only news of the times I find worthwhile reading that isn't doom & gloom, depressing, disheartening and basically written to put you into a funk for the day.

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. (AP)  The "squirrelly" configuration of a western Pennsylvania road helped cause a state road crew to paint a double-yellow line over a dead raccoon.  Pennsylvania DOT spokesman John Ambrosini says paint crews usually have a foreman on the job who clears away any dead animals before the paint-spraying truck equipment passes by. This crew didn't have a foreman and the equipment was too big to turn around in traffic, remove the animal and repair the paint.

And it is for things like this I enjoy travelling the back roads of America.



12 comments:

  1. This is SO Pennsylvania, I can't even tell you! hahaha this will make me chuckle all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI John...Oh my goodness the funny darn think that is....I will be breaking out is laugh all day long..can't wait to tell my daughter hahahahaha : }!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to see John...they would have swerved to miss it here while still painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw the headline but didn't seek out the image - so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little raccoon, they couldn't even stop to move it before painting the line. I think if I had seen it before I got to it, I would have moved it off the road before going forward.
    Mama raccoons will use this story for years to come to warn their little ones of the dangers of the roadway and "the machines". (My Grandmother called all vehicles machines, she and my Grandfather never owned a car or had a drivers license. They either walked or relied on the buses and family members to go where they needed to.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. in the uk they would fine the racoon for parking its tail on double yellow lines. we have white lines in the centre of the road and double yellow means no parking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great "news of the weird" find. Funny, but kind of sad for the poor racoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a minute there, I thought it was Earl...this is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just sad. I would not have bothered to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. for goodness sakes. Well I'm with you John re the daily news. I scout the headlines online and read what I want from it and kind of dig my head in the sand with the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep that looks like something our crews would do.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.