A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, August 26, 2012

Little America, Wyoming


Other than Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming has little to offer.  The bottom half of the state has even less.  It is bleak, barren and borderlines boredom while driving across it on Interstate 80.  In 1932 S.M. Covey opened up a gas station, hotel and whatever else to attract the traveler to stop.  He named his place Little America in honor of Admiral Byrd's camp at the South Pole.  Mr. Covey thought it a great idea to have a live penguin shipped to Little America for all to see.  Well the bird didn't survive the trip to Boston (surprise!) so in making the best out of a bad idea, he had the penguin stuffed and shipped the rest of the way to it's new home in the wastelands of Wyoming.  Emperor (that's his name - he is an Emperor Penguin and the owners were at a loss to come up with any other name) stands in the hotel lobby inside a glass case on a fake block of ice.

Did Dino meet the same fate as Emperor?  I checked it out. It was just a plaster model. 
Whew!

Today we face another day of driving just to get out of Wyoming.  If we don't survive, we don't want to be stuffed, mounted and put on display...please!




10 comments:

  1. poor penguin; I guess the remainder of your journey can only get better John; enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some places that seem to take forever to get through and little to enjoy on the way...glad you didn't stay around that place long - you are much more entertaining alive than you would be stuffed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People did a lot of stupid things, poor pinguin to end in a glass case in a hotel lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really thought it was a real penguin! I wish it were~

    ReplyDelete
  5. A penguin... now there's a bizarre idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing @ texwisgirl's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You forgot to mention the Tetons, Jackson Hole, and Cody as worthwhile places to visit in Wyoming. You're right that the highway 80 corridor is humdrum. But I always consoled myself in the knowledge that all the important dinosaur fossil deposits are close by. Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's an expression used amongst old-fashioned country folk around here to describe someone who doesn't quite fit the normal mode and that expression is "He's a queer old covey!" Did Mr Covey have ancestors here I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we traveled the midwest plains states to get to the Rockies I didn't think there was much to see in any state. My opinion, but then I love the mountains, not flat land. Like the penguin story.

    Felicia

    Ps I'm playing catch up.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.