A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Plan, Research, Go!




Sinbad and I are preparing to set sail again.  I never have a plan for a road trip, just a general idea.  On our last big trip (this time last year) we came south out of Montana, skirting the western edge of South Dakota and passed through the panhandle of Nebraska.  I was smitten with the Great Plains, the grasslands, the vast open space of the prairies.  I want to go back and explore the Great Plains more in depth.  But which route shall we take?  A couple weeks ago an idea came to me and I spent most of last week investigating the states we plan to go through.  I'll seek out the unusual, the quirky and different, but places of historical interest are not to be ignored.  This proved to be a bit of work so I set a goal to do one state a day for my research.  My eyeballs cannot handle anymore computer screen time than that.  When finished, I had 15 pages printed out with 90 goofy oddball things listed to check out among 9 states.  We always avoid major cities and stay off the interstate highways as much as possible.  It is the little back roads for us.  Also the popular touristy sites, we'll pass on.  And so this is how our "planned" route came to be.


We will be on the road for around two months, give or take.  I am really concerned about cold weather in the north and hope I don't wimp out.  So if you're ready, off we go!



15 comments:

  1. Bon voyage à tous les deux...

    I can't wait to see the pictures you will share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lot of research! Can't wait to see the pictures, have a nice holiday and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool John!
    I can't wait to see the photos of your adventure!
    Have a good trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two months!! Wow.
    I wish you a great trip John, enjoy your time on the backroads and I hope you and Sinbad will see lots of unusual, quirky and different things and places!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! 2 months!!! i like the badlands, too. i'm afraid i'd linger too long in the midwestern states, however...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the planning I have done was to no avail take things as they come May not be here tomorrow. just about to take that planned trip thats awaits us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like another great adventure. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so ready let the journey begin. Since I can't go anymore I so enjoy journeying with you and Sinbad John.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so you do have somewhat of a planned route and ideas. Nice to see what you are up to here on your blog. Seems you will have a lot of space there with Sinbad as your passenger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, ready for anything! Wishing you a good trip. Take care now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful time! September and October shouldn't be THAT cold. :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait. Keep those photos coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love a road trip, even a short one. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm ready!! Can't wait to keep up with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The internet is great - it's all there at your fingertips, but it has to be said, if I can, I'd much rather have the paper version in my hands. I have an inner Luddite, who I keep securely locked away most of the time.
    Enjoy your tour - I'm sure we'll all be able to follow you around. Should be good

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.