The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sign on the Divide


On Route 66 at the Continental Divide


This beauty stood right where the waters decide if they will flow east to the Mississippi River
or west to the Pacific Ocean.

The first Whiting Brothers gas station was built in 1926 along Route 66 in Arizona.  It proved to be a very profitable venture and the brothers built more stations throughout the southwest adding souvenir shops, cafes and motor inns.  Like many other businesses on the Mother Road though, the Whiting Brothers ended in 1990's.  Except for one station in New Mexico which is still operational, pretty much only the fading yellow and orange sign remains marking the spot where a Whiting Bros. Station once stood.


I came across this image of their road map on the Internet. 
Would love to have one.






8 comments:

  1. That is great to see the sign on the map. Route 66 is magical I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you used to see these all over. Great sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John...yesterdays post cracked me up...must have been some good old redneck boys!! The fake deer is a winner : )!!
    Great history...to bad the sign will rust away!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rusting signs are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's PATINA, Pard!



    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    ~ > < } } ( ° >

    > < 3 3 3 ( ° >

    ><}}(°>~

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.