A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, December 21, 2012

I Must Move On



If you are reading this then I guess the world didn't come to an end.  According to the interpretation by some of the Mayan calendar, the world would end on this day.  But the clock is still ticking for December 21, 2012 so we're not in the clear just yet.  It is also the Winter Solstice - the shortest day of the year.  So it is either going to be a short day, or a really short day.  If it turns out to be just another day, probably 9 months from now there will be a baby boom and all will be the offspring of idiots. (saw that one online and thought it funny)

These last few posts of abandoned bicycles were from the college where my daughter teaches biology.  While at her home for Thanksgiving I rode my bike to the campus thinking about getting some nice fall color photos.  I was amazed at the number of bicycles left behind by students, some obviously had been there a long time.  Why?  How could they just leave them like that?  It made me think how this generation who had everything handed to them has no respect for what they own.  So I took a bunch of photos planning to do a piece on it.  Then Newton Connecticut happened.  All I can think of is the little boy or girl who went to school that day and never came home. 
The abandoned bicycle images said so much to me.

I have more abandoned bicycle photos but now they have taken a whole new meaning and I must move on.  I still have Christmas to get through though and my thoughts will be with those in Newton.  Christmas will never be the same for them.  Christmas time will always bear a horrible memory from which they cannot escape, but this first one will be the toughest of them all.



8 comments:

  1. Wow! That bike must have some serious stories to tell.

    Yes, many of us will be remembering Newtown this Christmas. The horroe has touched the souls of so many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm too obsessive to ever leave something behind intentionally. You're right about this generation and the lack of respect. And, just like the lack of respect for life at Newtown, it's sadder than words can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Christmas will never be the same for those poor parents and everybody involved. Nice tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way too. I don't really know anyone who doesn't. There are times during the days when I have to tell myself not to think about it and to concentrate on something else just for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is hard to feel joyous and happy when we feel the pain deep within.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice tribute, John. I wonder about abandoned bikes from time to time. I ride to work and park in a bike area of the basement garage set aside by the building. Several bikes appear to be abandoned on the racks, and I've always wondered how that happens. My sense is that it is not a cavalier act, but that the bikes have been left due to unforeseen circumstances coming up in the owners' lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found an old bike in my travels, and will show it soon...
    In the meantime, this looks a little like found art...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.