The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Big Church, Little Town


Jud, North Dakota


The population for rural little Jud is around 70 people, give or take.  Back in 1910 when they might have been thinking about building a church it was 99.  The population swelled 202 in 1940 but has been on a steady decline from then on.


The church looks to have been unused for quite some time.  There must be a modern facility in town now but I didn't notice.  I wasn't looking for one either.  I was there for the murals, over 20 of them.


Would make for a good location for a scary movie except Jud is located all by itself way out in the middle of the plains of North Dakota 9 and 25 miles from the two nearest highways.



7 comments:

  1. i love these! what a great subject! really like the first in black and white! nice, nice, nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with TexWisGirl, beautiful B&W subject. The peeling paint really adds texture, and the clouds complete the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - had a look through this and your other recent posts - these are some interesting buildings - I often think that many building become more photogenic with a bit age and neglect.

    Also, I like the B/W

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    PS: sorry for slow reply - I been out of internet range in Tasmania!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first shot in b/w is perfect!! I love the rooflines and windows of this little church!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting old church...nice shots of it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.