A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rt. 4 Box 39


Upper northwest corner of the Texas panhandle.  No towns for miles in any direction.


After hours of driving with nothing but dry Texas flatness for scenery,  I pulled over to a stop if for no more reason than to stretch my legs.  Besides a gentle wind, it was peaceful and quiet outside.  Only the sound of gravel crunching beneath my feet as I walked about.  Other than the string of telephone poles along the road, this was the only man-made object within sight.  I had seen no other cars for I don't know how long, and none passed by while I wandered about.  It is brief moments like this that are etched forever in my mind.  I thought of the rural carrier that made the daily trip to this mailbox.  Beats an office job any day.  I long to be on the road again.  Soon.



6 comments:

  1. That is so typical american those mailboxes. I had always seen it in the Donald Duck strip albums and was so excited when I saw a real one for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps because your words speak of aloneness, this photo works well for me in monochrome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a great image made better by your appreciation of the few moments spent there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you picked a good spot to stretch your legs- the photo came out great, I like it! Is it a cottonwood tree? It looks like a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is one of those photos that could have been taken yesterday or 30 years ago...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.