A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, June 26, 2013

#1000 & Road Trips


Somewhere in Georgia


Number 1000.  That is what the odometer of my blog reads now.  This in the one thousandth post I have made to this blog.  I set this blog up back in July 2007 in anticipation of living out my dream.  A couple months later we sold our old 1972 Winnebago and bought the Little House on the Highway.  Then in November of that year I took my second trip (the first one was just a shakedown run) in our new-to-us motor home and made the first post to this blog.  The rest as they say is history.

When I was a young boy I always dreamed of traveling the country, exploring this great land of ours.  As I grew older my dreams expanded to traveling the world and seeing other countries.  I did some of that despite my anxiety with flying.  Then came 9/11 and the world became a different place.  Several years later I retired.  Now with all the time I need to go wherever I desire without the trauma and hassle of air travel, I hung up my parachute.  I realized that traveling the roads of America was all I ever really wanted.  Reading books like Steinbeck's Travels with Charley and William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways showed me that there's nothing wrong with narrowing my horizons.  A person could spend a lifetime traveling America and never cross the same road twice.

Thoreau said "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've imagined."
I feel very fortunate in being able to do just that.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. 


14 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful country to travel around and I loved it to drive around an see all the different parts. So I don't blame you for not flying. Those security rules now make it so stressfull, I don't have the ambition to go to the states anymore when I am treated like a potentional terrorist at the airport. So keep rolling and show me your pictures. I am reading Steinbeck's book too at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 1000! keep traveling and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, #1000 is a good one. i love that you are getting to do exactly what you love doing. it is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on #1000. I am loving following my dreams too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 1,000th post! I love both of the books you mentioned and Least Heat Moons book mentioned my birth town, Bagley, MN. You can't know how much I loved THAT.

    So for living out your dream, and for taking us along, I thank you!

    Jo in MN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your 1000th post! I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the 1000th post.
    I find the hassle of flying a turn-off and must admit that the attitude of the customs people at the US/Canada border has led me to just stay home for the most part and explore things here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 1000th post John. So happy I found you and can come along with you and Sinbad for the ride (so to speak)

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations. I'm enjoying your journeys too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the #1000. To answer your questions on my blog, no. The parade was here in Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You get to live your dream and we get to ride along with you. Win-win, brother. Hosannas for your 1000th post. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1000 posts - well done John. Just keep bringing the roads of America to us - most enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
    Eagles, Hotel California.
    but gosh I should read "Travels with Charlie"--my dad wasn't much of a reader but he loved that book. Named his little dog Charlie.
    HEY congratulations on your 1000 mark. I'm up to 2247 now. No rest for the wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! 1000 posts! Way to go, John! I can't say I have read all 1000, but I try to keep up and look forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.