The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Billy Tripp's Mindfield


Brownsville, Tennessee

Yesterday I mentioned about sometimes asking myself "Why did I come see this?"  Well this is one I really did ask that question.  But you just never know until you arrive.
This guy is definitely a few degrees off center. 

The view from across the street. 

He's got some message he wants to get across to you, but whatever that message is I don't know except that not all of his groceries are packed in the same bag.






Here is a message almost lost among all the steel work.  I didn't see it.  
It didn't matter as I wasn't wandering around in his "mindfield".


The view from the back of the lot. 


I don't think the residents of Brownsville think that much of this but the birds like it.  
This was the only part that made me feel good about being here.


Lots of places to build your home.


The poor barber in front must have had some problems in the past. 


Coming to Brownsville wasn't a total waste for I did get to see the movable hen house.
Click here for that post.



13 comments:

  1. oh ... so it's some kind of amusement park right? Must be in a commercial zone to get away with this? (I was amused)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a bit like Watts towers in L.A. or the castle from the french postmen Ferdinand Cheval by building their dream palaces. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this? Somebody's dream come true?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what in the... crazy and interesting in one place for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a good Twilight Zone thing:
    You are walking along, looking up high at all the names on top, and the very highest one is

    YOUR NAME!

    (cue Twilight Zone theme!)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, a few degrees off center. It pops into my head that this artist would make a good next US President.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The next time you go back talk to this guy. I would really like to see what he's all about. He's gone to tremendous effort to produce this. He has a sense of humor. He doesn't seem like he's scary. I wonder how he got permission from the town to erect this stuff.Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. to each his own, but i'd surely hate to be one of his neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is alot to take in but very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you even find these places? They're not on the map. Do you just ask locals. Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, well that was ummm, yes
    that was....ahhhhhhh. Ok, I give up, I like the movable hen house lots better. Sorry.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Billy and his work are very well received by most here in Brownsville. You can read the story behind the Mindfield at the link below. Billy is usually around and would probably be glad to talk.

    https://sites.google.com/site/billytripp/

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear John,

    oh that's interesting! The guy is very well known for its art!

    greetings synke

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.