The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Monday Mural


Port Gibson Mississippi, the town that General Grant said was "too beautiful to burn".

This mural depicting an historic event in the civil rights movement was in their small downtown plaza.
Do click on the photo to better admire the quality of the work done here.


The nearby plaque told the story which I found interesting.  I never knew this occurred.


As I was leaving town I saw this mural, so large I was unable to get it all in with a straight on shot.
Another worth clicking on to fully appreciate the colors.


I'll break it down in two photos.


The rusty corrugated tin roof just ads to this mural.


Here is a list of the artists involved with this project.
I included it just to show the imaginative names.


For more murals go to Oakland Daily Photo



16 comments:

  1. Both murals are beautiful and important in their own ways. I like how the value espoused by the second mural actually follows on the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mural. I love the history and the colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - quite some work gone into those murals; and so wonderfully colourful, can't be missed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are striking murals. The first one is made by a real artist. The images of the people look so good, they are real portraits. The history is interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way how in the first mural you look through a kind of gateway. Very clever done. The writing on the Plaque is an unbelievable story for us in western europe but here there are also things not conform the human rights. The second one is real colorful.Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous murals! really impressive first one! and equally impressive history stretching from 1966 to 1982! suing a group for boycotting their businesses. i guess if they had just not shopped there w/o the picketing, it wouldn't have had a chance in court, but the public protesting, i guess, gave the lawsuit some legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be great if people could unite enough to boycott an unfair deal. I remember the first Pay Per View event, a Mike Tyson fight, at an outrageously high price. I was telling everyone I saw, "If NOBODY signs up for this fight, Pay Per View will not exist". But nobody could miss one Mike Tyson fight, and now there's Pay Per View everything.
    I have Never signed up for any PPV event, I cut my cable off about 20 years ago and I have never missed it.
    The People have the power, but the prefer to be sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say "vote with your dollars" all the time. I try to vote with my dollars by refraining from shopping at Walmart and other stores that don't carry U.S. products, but convenience sometimes wins out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, both murals are very beautiful.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very moving contributions to this week's meme. Historical murals usually seem so much further in the past but these two bring us up to contemporary times. It's so easy to forget the struggles people have gone through but these murals declare that we must remember our shared past. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is a lot of paint and tremendous talent!!
    Amazing...I wonder how long that will stay looking like that??
    Cool post!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noticed that one of the artists was also a Claiborne, perhaps of the hardware Claiborne's?
    It is shocking that this happened not that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely wonderful murals, such bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too cool...I'll admire murals when driving by but we never seem to stop ~ that needs to change. Both are beautiful, but I do love the second one (the roof does give it great character)!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.