A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Banzai !


After watching the marathon runners I returned back to the flea market for in the Veterans Memorial Building (where the flea market is held in their parking lot) they were holding a bonsai plant show.  Now bonsai plant growing is a whole other thing with their own unique culture of enthusiasts.  
(pun alert) I could dig it.


Rather than pick and choose, I'll just show the whole lot I took pictures of, 
so you may scroll through at your own chosen pace.

Pyrcantha

I was impressed with the size of some compared to the very shallow bowl they were in.



Most all had labels with the species of plant and their age.

Pyrcantha.  Presentation was a big element (I heard it being discussed) and the pots alone are pricey with "famous" big-name artist's names attached to some of the high-end models.

  I didn't see one over 100 years old but it could have been there.  
The average age was 25 - 50 years. 


Another view of #3 above to show how little of this large tree actually was in the dirt.

Look at the little fruit.  This may have been a pomegranate.

A type of maple I believe.  Notice how shallow that dish is!

One said "crab apple" and this may have been it.  
Who'd think a bonsai would have fruit like this?
Not I.

Pyrcantha.  Never-wake-up berries.  
That is how my wife and I knew them as kids.

All one plant or separate ones?



Makes me think of a whole little miniature forest world there.

Bougainvillea?

This could be yours for $500

This was sale priced at $400

There was a vendors area where many plants were for sale from $10 on up.
I didn't buy one.  Sinbad would just munch on it.
But I did learn that bonsai is an outdoor plant, not intended to be kept inside.






11 comments:

  1. The more it looks like its big brother the more the value. The small pot is easy I think. Otherwise the trees grows to much but beauties they are I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel a bit sorry for the Bonsai. The plant is so manipulated in not natural shapes. I wonder how it would look like without intervention of humans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful plants! I have a friend who grows these trees.

    Sorry, I dont give "science ahead" warnings! Its just part and parcel of the way my brain works!

    Cheers - Stewart M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have always been enamored with this artform. i have tried keeping one small bonsai and failed miserably. i have to admire them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing plants. Must take a completely different mind-set and concept-of-time by the people caring for them. Would certainly teach patience, which as you know is a very rare commodity in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for showing us these beauties. John! I have an Amur maple in my front yard that drops seeds and little ones start up. I thought of trying for a bonsai but after reading the how to books, I realized I didn't have the time or patience for it.

    But I do admire these!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW those are totally awesome. How do they grow in such a shallow pot????????????

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really amazing plant creations and photos. I can imagine the fairies hanging out among them. The ones with berries/fruits and the gingko were my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are all so beautiful. They would be dead at my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small is often beautiful. Certainly is here.A lovely exhibition you've delivered to my desktop here.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.