A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Caution, Old Man Ahead


This past weekend I went up into my park for a hike.  I was going to ride my mountain bike but opted for a hike instead.  I am glad I did as it happened to be the day for the annual mountain bike race.  I usually go up there to watch the race, but this year it snuck up on me.  When I saw these, I knew right away what was up.


The bad thing was that I chose to hike the opposite end of the park (being the weekend, there would less people over there).  It is a narrow trail and with bikes coming through, there is not much room to step off to the side.  Fortunately this portion was 20 plus miles into the race and I had time to cover enough ground and get to the fire road before they started coming through.

I took some pictures with my point & click.  Although a bit blurry, I put this one in here for the raccoon eyes she had from all the dust.


Someone is having fun here.  You can tell by the smile.


Here not so much of a smile, but I am sure she's still having fun.


The rest of my pictures are too blurry.  After the last few bikers came through I turned around to head back down the trail picking up litter, empty water bottles, blown out inner tubes and a tool kit.  I'd like to be able to get the took kit back to whomever but the website has no discussion board or lost and found.  I may try Craigslist.  It was kind of a sad walk back for me for I couldn't help thinking I wish I could participate in the race like I used to 30 years ago.



14 comments:

  1. Looks like a great ride and your park look like a forest to me. Would love to walk that path but riding a bike. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a hot day, must be hard to bike up and down the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did much cycling in my youth but it was easy going, looking about me and enjoying the countryside cycling. Not these chaps (and chapettes) I think - I could never quite come to grips with the competitive mindset I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did participate, just as a spectator, much easier on the joints and back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That second smile is the sort that happens just before you fall off!

    Nice set of pictures.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    PS: the literary reference is to "The World According to Garp"

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah memories for you John wrapped up in that race. Guess we all feel a little wistful at times over what could have been, might've been only if...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'd have been run over by them - whether i was on bike or foot. :) you're a better/more adventurous soul than i ever was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's not much fun in getting older but it certainly beats the alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's not much fun in getting older but it certainly beats the alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John... That title cracked me up lol!!
    Now that looks like pure torture to
    me ,but each to his own!! Like you said 30 years ago that might have looked fun to me!!
    I can't ride a bike anymore anyway, since I had a knee operated to remove chipped and shattered cartilage in the joint about 6 years ago!!
    So no more running, which was my favorite sport,biking...anything that jostles and put pressure on the
    knee!!

    Yikes caution old women ahead!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would feel the same way. That trail is nicely marked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats why I say life is about making more memories, not more money...once its all said and done no one looks back and says I wish I had made more money when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.