A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, August 11, 2013

Monday Mural


Dothan, Alabama

The Dothan Riot

This is the first mural I have ever seen memorializing a street brawl.
(click on the mural to see the pandemonium better)

Now I didn't take the time to read this while there, I just took the picture thinking I read it later on.  Well it wasn't until I was setting this up for Monday Mural did I get around to reading it.  I was just going to put a few words in so my readers wouldn't have to read the entire thing but once I got to reading it, I found it pretty interesting.  So if you have the time read it.  Otherwise it was a skirmish over taxes and if that in itself isn't worth fighting about then what is?


For more murals click on Oakland Daily Photo



12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lively mural and quite a subject, you could look at it for ages- really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brawls are more common then we know but to give them a mural. Thats unheard of. Still its a beautiful one. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. like to see that happen more actually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most funny mural I have ever seen. Who thinks of painting such a scene!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the part about painting the mural for "children to enjoy". Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like we should do more brawling!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. their first toll road...

    i like the family of pigs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful piece of art to have in a little town! All these guys dressed in business suits, duking it out, pigs, and whatever.

    Could not manage the print even with my magnifiers though, but the mural was worth a thousand words!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. And people think Oakland is tough! Quite a sight and quite a story. This is better than a YouTube video. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great mural and interesting story. It's a connection between the wild west and almost modern time as I see the marshall, once he'd got being charged with murder out of the way, continued to serve the town well into the 20th century.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.