A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, August 10, 2013

Our Upcoming Fall Colors Tour


I've been busy these summer months researching and planning our fall trip.  This time we had in mind to do the New England States and see the fall colors they are so famous for.  I've spent hours searching for the weird, unusual and quirky things to see all along our trip.  I printed everything out and then sat down one Sunday morning circling the towns in all my maps where these oddities were to be found.  The planned departure date is around the end of August.  Now as that time rapidly approaches I am not that comfortable in doing the trip at this point in time.

I rarely if ever put anything on my blog dealing with current affairs, the government or any type of event with a political lean to it.  But in order to better understand my uneasiness about going on this trip, I've added below a link to a news item that pretty much explains what brought about my feelings.  This issue is nothing new (it was on my mind during our Tour of the South but the so-called "experts" felt this winter would be the tipping point) and I try to keep up with what's going on even if I understand very little of it or the reasons why.  But things are getting worse rather than better and if the bottom falls out of America's pocketbook while I am on the other side of the country, getting back home will be problematic if not completely out of the question.  The bottom line is I would need close to 10 fill-ups of fuel to get back to home in California and you know what it is like at filling stations in the time of crisis.  
I just am just not a gambler.  

I still have not decided yet, but may just do a trip down to the deserts and keep to the Southwest States and hopefully things will settle down and we can continue our cross-country travels next year.
Maybe I am being foolish.  And then maybe I should quit reading the news.





8 comments:

  1. If we only knew which 'experts' really knew how to predict the future!! As best as we can, I think it is important to 'be prepared' and cautious, but not let fear stop us from moving forward with what we enjoy. I come from a lifestyle that teaches to live well within our means, stay out of debt, save for a rainy day, and all those other old fashioned ideas. In addition, our goal is to have enough food, money and other resources on hand to last for at least a year in case of any emergency, be it natural, national, global, personal, etc. We often can't change our circumstances, but being wise about our personal choices sure brings peace of mind. I hope you get to take your trip, and when you do, I'll be anxiously awaiting your posts....New England in the fall is very high on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment about not watching the news. Nothing but gloomy guses and doomsayers. However, west all the way to east is a long way, so use your best judgment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always lived frugally and by the seat of my pants, when the wealthy fall on their own spears I doubt it will affect my life much...have a good plan A and an even better plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hate that we are in debt to China and that is scary to me. I am also just uncertain as to who to believe.

    The Doomsayers are always around, and they are always spouting doom which seldom seems to happen. So who do you trust, John?

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's best to follow your heart and instincts. It's no good taking on a challenge that is going to have you on the edge of your drivers seat from the moment you leave home. Hopefully things will settle and you can take on the bigger journey later

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.