A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Oldest Church in Georgia


Rincon, Georgia

This is the oldest church in Georgia.  But I didn't come here to see that.


Services are still held in this church.  But that isn't why I was here.


The church has had many names in addition to what the sign now states.  It was the Old Salzburger Church, the Old Ebenezer Church and now known by it's present name which is a mouthful.


The town of Ebenezer (I like saying that name) had a colorful history but I wasn't here for that.


And I learned something else too while there.  Yet I was here for another reason.


 I came to see the bullet hole left by a disrespectful Union soldier
 in the swan that adorns the church steeple.







12 comments:

  1. Nice story about the silk. About churches changing names they often also change of religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o.k., but I'm intruiged by the brickwork on the old church ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, the things you find to read up on and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What grabs your eye may not be what grabs mine. In the first sign when it said what would be built in Ebenezer, the structures included "an orphan house". Then I want to know, did it get built, how many orphans, who looked after them, were they treated and fed well? How long did the orphan house continue? Did the orphans become productive citizens of Ebenezer?

    OK, a little crazy, but thats what comes to me.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good shot for a musket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting history but the hole in the swan is certainly the quirky detail that makes it. The good folk of the town must like it too - there's been enough years since the civil war to pop up there and get it replaced, filled or patched if it had really wanted too.
    It is perhaps a very naughty thing to do but who's going to grumble to a man who can put a hole in something that small from so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're as stickler for details. Great story about the church and you had me reading right to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Please keep on finding these quirky places and not-so-touristy palces. You give me a whole different picture of the US and I almost hang on every word/picture you post!
    Trudie from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the other commenters, I love your quirky finds.
    I just reread your bio and think your philosophy about life is wonderful.
    There is a part of me that is a vagabond too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. are you serious?????? you really went there looking for the bullet hole?? Ok, that's great but its a beautiful church too.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.