A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, August 25, 2013

Woodpecker Workings


These two holes I am fairly certain were done by the Pileated Woodpecker based on their size.  I should have placed something into the hole as a reference, but consider I could stick my fist into the opening.  This is a large tree.  Large enough you could not wrap your arms around and not be able to touch your hands together, if that helps any.  To hear these large woodpeckers hammer on trees is as if someone is taking an ax to the tree.  Normally the holes are high up so I was surprised to come across this at eye level.


Here is a picture of the Pileated Woodpecker I swiped off the Interent as I do not have a picture of one.


But I do have a video of one at work I made last year.  Look closely and you'll be able to see the wood dust fly in the sunlight.





11 comments:

  1. It is amazing what they can do. We once had one in our backgarden, he almost damaged our nut tree. Nice movie you made of him at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with bieb . Really great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahaha made me laugh; they must have a head like a jack-hammer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that video made me laugh. just hammering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. anyone with a headache should NOT watch that video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've found them to be buggers to photograph - they never show up and when the do, they never sit still. Neat photo of their 'craftsmanship'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great footage of the woodpecker at work! I always wonder, when I hear them in action, how they manage to avoid having a huge headache at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if they ever get headaches.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember woodpeckers in Missouri making nice neat deep holes, here there are woodpeckers but so far, the only thing I've seen them pecking on are our aluminum raingutters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's one great bit of film - I off to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.