The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Nature's Undertaker


The Turkey Vulture  (Cathartes aura)


I remember my 9th grade science teacher explaining one day why vultures had no feathers on their heads.  Sticking their heads inside of foul disgusting rotting corpses filled with all sorts of terrible bacteria, the ultra violet rays of the sun sanitize their heads for them.  That is what he said, and I believe everything Mr.Foxworthy taught me.

"What are you looking at?"

This is linked to Wild Bird Wednesday



22 comments:

  1. i do like these birds, even with their rather vile eating habits. 'tainted their fault they were made to eat the dead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are great cleanup crews! I think they are cool birds. Great shots! Thanks for sharing your WBW. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a bird I don't find in my garden. Great shots John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its important to listen to your 9th grade Science teachers - they are the font of all wisdom, and I used to be one!

    Nice pictures.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured him very well, nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't that bird read? No Trespassing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty remarkable looking birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John... Oh I like these guys!!
    Ugly they may be, but I love to watch the soar!!
    This a smart one to "no hunting" guess he know where to roast!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're awesome when soaring overhead - those beautiful wingspans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A face only a mother could love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Nature's Undertakers"... I love that!! Great images, John!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uh oh, he's looking right at you. Hope he wasn't looking at Sinbad and wondering just how sick he really was!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post!

    In our area we have a very healthy population of Turkey and Black Vultures. The Black know the Turkey are better at smelling carrion and fly just above and behind them to steal a meal.

    Nice photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe he's looking at some fresh meat on the hoof. Run, Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saw these birds in Paraguay. What do you mean what is he looking at? He is warning YOU not to trespass!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seems to be making a good job at enforcing the No Hunting or Trespassing sign.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never seen one so close. Thanks for the useful education.
    Paz :)

    ReplyDelete