The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, November 11, 2013

One Awesome Radio


Saw this at yesterday's flea market.  You could hear it before seeing it.  It had such a wonderful sound.  The man said it was a 1957 Telefunken radio made in Germany.  He bought it, cleaned it all up, made a few repairs and had it out there for the "I really do not want to sell it" price of $500.  I looked them up when I got home and saw a not as nice one on eBay for $399.

I love that it has big city names on it and that it received short wave.  Note the Made in Western Germany.  It has history.  Tube radios have a special sound to them that radios of today cannot match.  This radio surpassed any tube radio I have ever heard before.  Too bad today's radio stations are not worthy of this radio.

He also had these wonderful glass front bookcases.  I did not ask the price on them.  I would dearly love to have them but have no room although I do have the books that would look nice in them.

13 comments:

  1. The old radio is very cool! And very expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember such a radio from home long ago. My father used little stickers on the glass to point to the dutch stations which where not mentioned on the senders scale . I am talking about 1957 here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superbe reportage!
    Très joli post!
    Merci de ta visite et de tes gentils commentaires sur mes pages, Merci, bonne journée!
    Cath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those radios we had at home too. Always turning the button to find your music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have a wonderful old radio when I was a child; a dial that lit up, an aerial wire that run across to a pole on the side of the outside toilet, and a dial with all those wonderful faraway cities - Hilversum, Paris, Munich and AFN too, that was American Forces Network which broadcast to the troops stationed in Germany and elsewhere. Thanks for stirring up an old memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. neat radio. a type i've not seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many of the older radios had short wave. I used to listen to short wave as a kid and also when I was in the Arctic. I had my Grandpa's tube radio. We couldn't get any mor ebatteries for it and didn't change it to eclectric. I don't know what happened to it after I left home.a tub

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those bookcases...I could easily fill them, too. I would have liked to hear that radio...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes I can see quality in that 'not-so-old' radio :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a unique looking radio. I'd love to have it, but not at that price!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember those radios too! And I love the bookcases.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that would be wonderful to have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful SW Radio indeed. My dad had one similar; might have been a Phillips. I have a Grundig, newer technology, for SW.

    You have a good eye, mon ami.

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.