The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Velveteen Fungi


This may be the first time I've seen this species of fungi.  It could be the same as the one awhile back that looked like something fresh from the oven but this had the look of velvet to it.
It is difficult to tell but this grouping grew on the slope of a very steep ravine 
so it was shall I say fun to get at.


The twigs are firmly in the grasp of the fungi having grown around them.


Off to the side of the group stood this one, home to a spider or two it appears.

Dropping down to an edge on view you can see how the silk web has completely enclosed the spaces between each shelf or bracket.  Cottonmouth comes to mind.




10 comments:

  1. Nice ones again. I like it that every material and ground has its own fungi to show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fungies look so different from ours. These reminds me to bread or something baked. Funny to find this in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like how the spiders use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really neat fungi. They look velvety too. don't like the spiders though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John.... Wow these are pretty cool... love your title to is this a sequel to the Velveteen Rabbit story??


    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spiders really took advantage. I don't think I've ever seen them do it so extensively on fungi before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We get some mushrooms in our yard. I am going to borrow some of your enthusiasm and photograh them as well. May not be this pretty and colorful though.

    Paz :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.