A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, January 31, 2014

Fun facts from the 1500's


The other day I was looking through all my papers for something and came across this piece I saved from long ago.  I thought it would make for a nice series on the blog.  I just love this sort of thing.  So here we go.


The next time you are going to take a bath or shower and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be with life in the 1500's.

   Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May and were still smelling pretty good by June.  However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide body odor.
   Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water.  The man of the house had the privelege of the nice clean water, then all the sons and other men, then the women and finally the children.  Last of all the babies.  By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it, hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

more to come
 

14 comments:

  1. Interesting facts, didn't know the explanation about the baby and the bath. Glad we only have a shower and no bath anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff. I know that there were no bathing facilities in Cambridge University at one time because the terms were not considered long enough to warrant students having a bath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A piece of interesting information and especially about the baby. I don't hope that they afterwards used it for making soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bouquet part is tragicomic!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hee hee...
    «Louis» likes this kind of trivia - he looks forward to seeing what else you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have read that before. just dreadful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We may laugh at these but the reality of the situation illustrates the harshness of their lives. This is a neat topic to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so thankful it isn't like that today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. alrighty then. LOL. I had heard the baby and bathwater scenario before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makes me very happy to be be living now and not then. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.