The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My New Year Resolution


My New Year resolution isn't about the usual things people resolve to do such as quit smoking, lose weight, start an exercise program...no, for me it is about getting back into my art work.  The image below is the last piece I was working on when for some reason I quit drawing (pen and ink) altogether.  I don't know what came into my life that caused me to push my pens aside and forget about them for it has been so very long ago.  It could have been that I just burned myself out for I was creating one piece of work after another non-stop.  This last piece is unfinished.  You may barely be able to see the pencil outline for the other tusk.


My mother was an excellent self-taught artist.  She could do portraits of people.  I cannot draw people to save my life.  At the point in her life when she had all the free time she needed, she never went back to her artwork in spite of my encouraging her to do so.  I thought that was such a waste.  I now understand how she felt for I am doing the very same thing.  Like mother, like son.
I hope to change that and break the cycle.






17 comments:

  1. that's a good move John to make a new start with your artwork. I'm SO impressed at your pen-ink drawing and I really look forward to see your new approach to this. I love absorbing people's creativity and this kind of art is quite the achievement, being so realistic and well proportioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed talented John. It is a crime for you to waste that talent. I hope 2014 brings you the inspiration and motivation to pick up your pen again. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some secret talents John! It would be a good idea to pick it up again. But I hope you will not stop photographing or blogging. A Happy New year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm very impressed!!!
    You're so lucky for being so talented, I wish I could draw like you do!
    Have a wonderful 2014 John! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! John you have a wonderful talent...
    I would love to see more of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have many talents, John, but its a shame to waste your drawing skills. The elephants are beautiful!

    Looking forward to whatever you come up with for future work!

    Jo, Stella and Zkhat who wish you a happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  7. finally getting to see some of your artwork is a joy! wow, john! just wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous! You must attempt to get into the mood again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful drawing. I hope you keep it up this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. John, you are truly a font of surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure hope you go back to it John, this is absolutely beautiful. Please continue


    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever you end up drawing, don't forget to share with us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's hoping we'll be seeing more of your drawings in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Color me impressed. If I could draw I'd be out tramping in the woods drawing small bits of nature around me. I'm glad you're going to take up the pen again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent work! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very surprised to see this post, glad you are picking up the pen. You have always had a gift of drawing. Neat that you are sharing it with others. Finish your drawing and do more entries on art. A true calling for you to keep on…Cycles are hard to change.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, don't stop...I would give anything to be able to do this. I can barely trace a circle.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.